Friday, October 16, 2015

It's Not Easy Bein' Green









“It's not easy bein' green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky


But green's the color of Spring
And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like an ocean
Or important like a mountain
Or tall like a tree”
--Kermit the Frog


I remember hearing that song over and over on the radio many years ago.
It was kinda catchy, that’s for sure.  And I was sure there was a deep hidden meaning to the lyrics that I couldn’t quite grasp yet.


I remember being “green” at a new job in a large corporation.  I was a temp employee, which I soon found made me a little lower than the retention pond outside the building.  It was bad enough that I didn’t know anyone, but worse still, didn’t know the unwritten rules about working there.  Somehow, in some way there was a set of rights and privileges held for full time employees and a completely new set for the temps.  It was totally ridiculous.  


For example, I was instructed that the employee Christmas luncheon which we were all to bring a dish for was for the employees.  Temps could “eat off the table” if there was anything left later on.  I kid you not.  This was a direct quote to me from one of the pharisaical workers there.  


What irritated me most was that the head of the department was supposed to be a Christian.  When a particular event happened that not only affected me, but eventually my children, I blew a gasket.  I wrote a scathing letter to the head of the department, standing on my highest platform, waving my biggest preaching finger, reaching deep for the best Scriptures I could hurl at him so that he would “see the light.”


I was so green.


It was the first and only job I was ever dismissed from.  Licking my wounds, it took me quite awhile to recover.  Yes, being green was a difficult thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment